Volunteer Hotline Counselor
Goal: The Metropolitan Tenants Organization has a mission to organize, educate, and empower tenants to have a voice in decisions that affect the affordability and availability of safe and decent housing for all. Tenants throughout Chicago call our hotline seeking advice on their rights. The role of the hotline counselor is to educate and empower tenants to exercise their legal rights.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Listen to tenant issues
- Assist callers in developing a strategy to solve their problem
- Refer tenants to appropriate agencies
- Send out written materials to callers
- Maintain knowledge of current laws
- Learn updates as new laws are passed
- Identify potential supporters
- Ability to clearly communicate legal information
- Ability to learn and become familiar with Chicago’s residential tenant laws
- Implement MTO’s mission statement
- Excellent customer service skills
- Occasional pizza
- CTA fare cards
- Free admission to MTO’s events (Annual Meeting, Leadership development trainings, etc.)
- Free MTO Membership
- Access to all of MTO’s resources
Download an application.
For more information regarding volunteering, contact Regina Rizzo at (773) 292-4980 ext. 223 or by email at email@example.com.