METROPOLITAN TENANTS ORGANIZATION (MTO)
MTO is currently accepting applications for the following position:
Position Title: VISTA Organizing Assistant
Supervisor: Organizing Coordinator or Designee
Organize tenants and tenant associations living in HUD subsidized to develop and implement actions and campaigns that result in tangible victories, like the renewal of contracts with HUD to keep rents affordable convene building strategy meetings including direct action; develop and conduct training opportunities to build tenant leadership. The Metropolitan Tenants Organization, a Chicago membership organization that exists to organize, educate and empower tenants to have a voice in decisions which affect the affordability of decent and safe housing.
- Organizing building meetings with tenant leaders, tenants associations and community activists to address their collective issues.
- Work with MTO’s volunteer issues/advisory committees to develop, plan and implement issue campaigns and direct action strategies.
- Coordinate media strategies for various campaigns including: developing media relationships and materials including, press releases, bulletins, reports, testimony, etc.
- Interview current and new community leaders to identify new leadership issues.
- Maintain and build organizational membership and increase collaboration and coordination among agencies to further program objectives and MTO mission.
- Other duties as assigned which support the overall mission of MTO such as assisting in the planning of annual events, campaigns, open house events, etc.
- Oversee the maintenance of thorough records and prepare program reports as needed.
- Knowledge of Chicago’s social, political and housing issues.
- Experience directing organizing campaigns and 3-5 years direct organizing experience, preferably in housing.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently as well as in teams.
- Must have experience, ability, and desire to work with racially and culturally diverse communities.
- Must have strong organizational skills and an ability to work days and evenings.
- Have excellent communications skills both public speaking and written.